Even then, before the earthquake, Port-Au-Prince was an unbelievable mess. Practically no infrastructure worth talking about. In many parts of the city, there was no electricity. So as night began to fall, whole swaths of the capital became deserted for a lack of light and security. Bonfires the only way to move about without getting lost. Traveling as moths to flames.Check out this amazing blog post "Haiti: A Photographer's Reflection And Plea"on NPR. Jeff Antebi's photography from before the earthquake is heartbreaking and beautiful at the same time. It has been hard watching the news lately and seeing all of the suffering in Haiti. If you can, please donate! I made my donation to AmeriCares, but if you want more choices go to Interaction.org for different relief aid agencies to choose from.
There is a glimmer of hope from Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti and that is that this disaster created a renewed commitment to country that prior to the earthquake was a disaster zone -it lacked stability, governance, and security. This opportunity to stabilize and create an infrastructure for the survivors is similar to the Southeast Asia Tsunami victims that I referenced earlier. I just hope that this renewed commitment lasts long-term. I remember learning about Haiti's sad history in college and it is saddening to see that it takes the tragedy to make the world and people step up and reach out to a failed state.
Please donate.
No comments:
Post a Comment