Yesterday was my first full day in Cape Town. The city is just so beautiful and there are moments where I felt like I am in Europe and even New Orleans (though I never have been, besides photos). I am really excited to explore and just see much more of the city. It was a very adventurous trip out here which included almost missing my flight to Johannesburg and bags that were MIA. Luckily I got my bag and can smell nice and beautiful again! I need to figure out how to post pictures on here, esp since picnik is gone. But, I wanted to share this nice photo of the king protea (Protea cynaroides), which was in our guesthouse when we arrived. The lovely owners left us with some groceries and this beautiful flower that is also the national flower of South Africa. It can be found here in the south-western and southern areas of the Western Cape. Apparently it represents the rich and diverse history of South Africa and the rainbow people. It is also part of what makes up the Cape Floral Region, a major global biodiversity hotspot and a Unesco World Heritage site or so, says the southafrica.info page.
Hope to post more soon, but I need to work on a paper and sleep!
No comments:
Post a Comment