Tuesday, August 26, 2008

People that I admire:

Michelle Obama

Yesterday was day 1 of the Democratic National Convention and America's reintroduction to Michelle (yes, I like to think we are on a first name basis). She gave a great speech and really spoke from the heart. I loved the video that was played before her speech that was narrated by her mother. I could feel my eyes welling up with tears before and during the speech. I was not alone (I'm talking about you, Joe Bidden). She was smart, eloquent, warm, and confident. See the text of the speech or listen here.

Personally, I don't like the the criticism being placed on Michelle Obama and the other presidential candidates wives. I have always been a person who tries not to judge other people's personal lives. Your work ethic and character is more important to me. Does a spouse affect a husbands character? Maybe, but Michelle is awesome and makes me like Barack Obama more.

Strong women often get unfairly criticized for being outspoken, but I say to those people: suck it. I don't think Michelle has an "elitist" presence. She is more like us, ordinary folk, than the other first lady candidate. Cindy Hensley McCain grew up into affluent circumstances, while Michelle had to work hard for the "American dream." Plus Cindy McCain steals cooking recipes (I don't forget stupid stories like this). I remember people criticizing Gore for being elitist and preferring Bush to Gore because "you could get a beer with W." Well look at what good that did ya, America.

In a world where we criticize women on the political stage for being "too masculine" or "too weak or feminine," I want to thank you, Michelle for being a good role model for young women.

No comments: