Monday, June 8, 2009

My rant.

Call me heartless, but I think that Laura Ling and Euna Lee, the two journalist accused of entering North Korea, are stupid.

Never ever mess around with a hostile country. I think that should be a given rule. If you want to report on the humanitarian situation in North Korea expect that there will be danger. Haven't you seen the movie "Up Close & Personal"? Robert Redford died in that movie. 12 years in a labor camp is not that bad in comparison. But, I doubt that Ms. Ling and Ms. Lee will do the 12 years. They will probably be used as bargaining chips and eventually returned to the United States, where they will write a book about their experience and become media darlings. North Korea will finally receive an envoy and negotiate for benefits despite failing to stop their nuclear program, like always.

I went to North Korea last winter on a tour and I have never felt more uncomfortable and scared in my life. That was just a day tour so I can't imagine the fear that those two women are facing, esp. after their sentencing. But, they did illegally enter North Korea. Earlier reports said that the N.Korea soldiers asked them to stop taping on the border, but they did not. Also, their camera man ran away and let the two women get caught. Chivalry is dead. I may think Ms. Lee and Ling are dumb and naive, but I do feel sympathy for them and their families. I especially feel sorry for Ms. Lee's four year daughter, who has no understanding of world politics and only knows that she misses her mom. She's probably the greatest victim of this situation. Besides the United States Government that must cooperate with this hostile government for their stupidity.

The only people that are dumber than Ms. Ling and Lee are the people that "tweet" and comment say "Nuke" or "invade" North Korea. What good would that honestly do? I think the US military is already quite overextended. If you are really "irate" then write an email to the State Department or your congress person. Better yet, join the military. Also, did you care before when South Korean and Japanese citizens were abducted on their country's territory? Nope, I didn't think so.

So, how about we practice something we haven't done in awhile. 8 years to be exact. It is called Diplomacy. Send my beloved Al Gore over there or Hilary Clinton to begin negotiations with North Korea. Or ask our US government to put pressure on China to assist in the release of the two journalist and ending the nuclear program. China is suppose to wield power with North Korea. China already wields power over the United States. So I doubt asking Chinese overlords for more help won't hurt.

Check out Jezebel for more coverage. I will return to my heartless shell now.

No comments: