"When I get a case about discrimination, I have to think about people in my own family who suffered discrimination because of their ethnic background or because of religion or because of gender. And I do take that into account."Who said that? Sotomayor??? No. It was Supreme Court Justice Alito. Gotta love Conservative Hypocrisy!
Why was it good when Alito says his Italian background would make him a good Judge? But, Sotomayor almost made the same point and she is viewed as a racist. Xenophobia?
Sotomayor's speech was also taken out of context. If you see what she actually said , you will see that it was manipulated and spun to look like a bigger deal than it actually is. But, Alito blatantly says it. Plus in our heterogeneous society, we should have representatives that look like our population. Sadly for some, not me, that is not white.
"I would hope that a wise [not all] Latina woman with the richness of her experiences would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male who hasn't lived that life."
A justice should be weighed on their actions and legal rulings and not speeches (especially, taken out of context). Check out the Huffington Post's "Sonia Sotomayor: 10 Things you Should Know." It will be a very exciting summer in D.C.
Your request is being processed...
No comments:
Post a Comment