Monday, August 30, 2010

Restaurant Week = the greatest week. ever.

Last week was restaurant week and here are pictures of everything I ate and tasted. It was pure gluttony and I loved every minute of it. Hopefully, my stomach will shrink back to normal size or else, be prepared to roll me out like an oversized blueberry.

Tuesday -- Blue Duck Tavern - Lunch only
Amazing deal, it was basically a full three course dinner meal with sides (for free!) during the middle of the day at nearly 1/3rd of the normal cost. The restaurant is gorgeous and service excellent. I kept the itemized receipt as proof because it was unbelievable. I seriously think it was the best meal that I have ever had.
Blue Fin spread and Roasted Maine Scallops with Watercress-like greens
My workspouse, Mari, with the Duck Confit and me with my Braised Beef Rib with Homemade Steak Sauce, and the two sides - Baby Beets with Candied Orange Peel and Marcona Almonds & Potato Puree with Fresh Garlic, aka mashed potatoes.
The last set are photos of the desserts - Warm Blackberry and Peach Crumble, Crème Fraîche & Key Lime Blueberries Tart, White Chocolate Cream Citrus Crisp - and when we felt like we were going to explode.

Wednesday - Vidalia - Dinner
Amazing food, great service, and just plain yummy. 
Appetizer:  heirloom tomatoes - bibb lettuce, benton’s bacon, vidalia onions, clemson blue cheese &
sweet corn chowder- yukon gold potato, roasted red, pepper, corn, scallions, bacon hash

Entrees: cornmeal crusted carolina mountain trout - crayfish, andouille sausage, dirty rice,  cilantro, spicy shellfish-gumbo sauce & barbeque beef short rib - smoked sweet potatoes, crisp fried, vidalia onions, espresso barbeque sauce
 
Dessert: georgia pecan tart- bourbon caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream & “sweet potato pie”-  sweet potato chiboust, passion fruit meringue, hazelnut shortbread

Thursday - Gym

Friday - 701 Restaurant - Lunch
This was a place where I had high expectations, which were not met. at all. Everyone says that druing Restaurant Week, you receive poor service or subpar food, in comparison to what the restaurant usually service. I feel like I have been lucky until I cam to 701. The service was poor, food was just okay, but luckily, I had good company.


For appetizers, Henry and I had the Local Corn Soup with Shrimp Flan - shrimp, chives & nasturtium - which was good, but not as good as the corn soup at Vidalia. Mari had the Rockfish Tartare - green gazpacho, jalapeno prosecco granite- which tasted good. I think this was the better appetizer.

Entrees: Spanish Mackerel - cucumber noodles, horseradish infused tomato water, lemon agrumato oil & Squid Ink Linguine - braised squid, spicy tomato sauce, marjoram & Steak and Arugula Salad - fennel, cheddar croutons, red pepper vinaigrette

Lastly was dessert, Mari and I had the Ricotta Poundcake with Local Peaches - peach ice cream, which was okay. The peach ice cream was really good, but the poundcake was eh along with the actual peach. Henry had the Vanilla Panna Cotta - nectarine relish, amaretti cookies

If restaurant week was the story of the three bears, this bear was the too small bed, whereas Blue Duck was the BIG bed and Vidalia was just right (for portions).  Sadly, my dates left hungry and twenty dollars poorer. This was truly disappointing, but I guess I have to experience the sour with the sweet.

Friday - Rest (no seriously, I feel asleep at 9:30 p.m. I am old!)

Saturday - More Rest

Sunday - Bistro Bis - Dinner
This was my boyfriend's first and last restaurant week meal and my last. Like my waiter, I was happy that it was ending because I felt really really Paté de Campagne fat from all this good food. This was Aaron's first time and Bistro Bis and it did not disappoint. I wish that I would have taken a photo of the appetizers but, I devoured it. I ordered  Salade Frisée au Lardons - frisée lettuce with applewood smoked bacon, poached egg and sherry vinaigrette - it was amazing. I went to Bistro Bis last winter during restaurant week and ordered this salad and loved it then. I LOVE poached eggs, esp on salad.  Aaron ordered - country style pork paté with mesclun salad, pistachios, toasted baguette and mustard sauce- which was very tasty. We both liked the mustard sauce (I'm a sucker for mustard too).

yes, we were those people.
Entrees: Trout Ardenaise (Right) -  sautéed with warm haricots verts, proscuitto, almonds, mâche and caper-lemon vinaigrette & Lamb Steak Bretonne - pan roasted lamb with sun-dried tomatoes, flageolets, creamy polenta and garlic-rosemary lamb jus (Left).


Lastly, I died for my dessert and gladly paid the extra four dollars for the Seasonal Berries -crème anglaise w/ fresh mint - which was so delicious. No photo of Aaron's Bis’ Apple Croustade because I was obsessed with my dessert. Seriously, my best dessert of the week!


I think my computer is going to explode after uploading all these photos, but I hope you enjoyed my epicurean adventure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

even though i'm here i will still read! adding some of these restaurants to my list =) my mouth is watering...ALI