Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy (early) International Women's Day

World news has been depressing. Often, I feel like we (the world) have been taking two steps back for every one good step, esp. in the realm of women's rights, which has gotten very ugly.   Lately, it feels like the only movement in Congress has been against women's rights - their health, livelihood, and family.  The article below gave me hope and was so refreshing to read because this is what I believe is possible. I can't predict the future, but on this front, I know that it can only get better.  Hilary and I will see you on the top!
"She was in energetic discussion on the Egyptian news site Masrawy.com, where her presence excited a stream of questions—more than 6,500 in three days—from young people across Egypt. “We hope,” she said, “that as Egypt looks at its own future, it takes advantage of all of the people’s talents”—Clinton shorthand for including women. She had an immediate answer when a number of questioners suggested that her persistent references to women’s rights constituted American meddling in Egyptian affairs: “If a country doesn’t recognize minority rights and human rights, including women’s rights, you will not have the kind of stability and prosperity that is possible.”

“It is like any challenge,” she goes on, her tone brightening. “You just keep at it, take it piece by piece, seize the ground you can, hang onto it, and then move forward a little bit more.” She pauses. “And we are heading for higher ground.”

Gayle Tzemach Lemmon,"The Hillary Doctrine," Newsweek, March 06, 2011

No comments: