Friday, March 11, 2011

Heavy heart

Viewing images of the earthquake and tsunami in Japan has given me a very heavy heart today. I am so thankful that my family, friends, and colleagues are safe and sound. I can't imagine the fear that so many experienced yesterday. My thoughts and prayers is with my loved ones, who are still experiencing aftershocks,  and the people of Japan.It is times like these when you realize how much you take for granted.

I saw this blog article from Nicholas Kristof, which demonstrates the strength and resilience of Japanese people and culture. The reason why I love it and so proud to be a double.
"The Japanese word for nature, shizen, is a modern one, dating back only a bit more than 100 years, because traditionally there was no need to express the concept. In an essay in the Times after the Kobe quake, I made some of these same points and ended with a 17th century haiku from one of Japan’s greatest poets, Basho:

The vicissitudes of life.
Sad, to become finally
A bamboo shoot.

I find something noble and courageous in Japan’s resilience and perseverance, and it will be on display in the coming days. This will also be a time when the tight knit of Japan’s social fabric, its toughness and resilience, shine through."
Please keep Japan in your thoughts.

No comments: