"Life is too short to be busy." - "The ‘Busy’ Trap" by Tim Kreider from NYTimes on June 30, 2012
Finding balance is always the struggle. I caught influenza (I think it sounds cooler) from trying to work to much. I'm a workaholic, its something I admit to and am slightly proud of, but this article brings up good points. Prior to South Africa, I had a epiphany - I need to care about myself (b/c no one else would) and care less about what others are doing (If they care, then they will do it) This is the only fair way, b/c my expectations are different than others. But this is a side note, the article also emphasizes the authors decision to pick "time over money." It is funny because recently, my classmates and I had dinner with this woman in a township, who spoke about time being married to money. She said this emphasis on time is a Western thing, which is why we say good morning, noon, and night. Where in Africa, they say "Molo" or "Molweni (for more than two people)"which is "hello" in Xhosa. We are too obsessed with time and watches. Anything that is connected to time = money. It is so funny and very true.
So, my goal is to make time for myself and to be less "busy." Oddly enough, when I got first epiphany, I got sick with a bad head cold and now, I am coming to the realization after having influenza! I like how I have these realization because of illness. So, I will try hard to be balanced and one day, I hope to have harmony. Namste.
1 comment:
Sounds like a good plan to me :) - MF
Post a Comment