This past Monday, I saw Thomas Friedman at the Woodrow Wilson Center. Beforehand, my co-worker asked me if I was a "Friedman Groupie" and I was conflicted. I love his writing, but I don't feel like a groupie. I think DC has made me pessimistic. There was probably some pessimism in me, but at heart I still believe that I am an optimistic. This is why I love his writing. I like his view of America's potential.
Monday's event was for Friedman's new book, " Hot, Flat And Crowded," which is supposed to be about climate change and energy, but it is really about America. It is time to wake up America and deal with our dependence on oil and employ ET solutions. I won't divulge further but, he is inspirational. I hope that this bestseller is read by policymakers and not by just jaded program assistants. It is a must-read.
Friedman and I did have a moment when I walked into the atrium. His eyes sparkled when we said hello. I also got his signature. I imagine that taking a picture of us together on my camera phone would have looked stalkerish. So, I kept it on a groupie/super fan level. But, maybe next time...
No comments:
Post a Comment