Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The Real America

Lately, I have been hearing a lot of stories about the "real America." Like, Northern Virginia is not real Virginia. Well, I have been to Northern Virginia and "real" Virginia and it is the same to me. One is just closer to my home. Either way- I get lost.

Last night's Daily Show discussed "small towns" vs. "big towns." And the best part of the this discussion was meeting the current mayor of Wasilla, who had no idea what a mayor does. I bet she plays solitaire or minesweeper all day! The greatest part is when she said that she, like Sarah Palin, could be qualified to be the Vice President of the United States. WTF!

I was outraged by Sarah Palin's acceptance speech, when she said “I guess a small town mayor is sort of like a community organizer… except that you have actual responsibilities.” Well apparently the mayor of a small town doesn't do anything then. Remember when Sarah Palin said she didn't know what a Vice President does? Well, maybe Sarah doesn't know anything or doesn't like to do anything, so she can be lazy and ignorant. Maybe she already Washington insider already? She is definitely not an agent for change. One should not diminish the work of another (esp. if you have not walk in his/her shoes). People should be thanked and celebrated for doing work in their community and town. Not belittled them for not being a mayor of a small town and leaving that town in debt. See this NPR story from September.

Small is not better and Big is not greater. The End.

No comments: