Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Randomness in the City...

Remember that episode of Sex and the City, when Carrie meets a charming journalist, Ben, and she goes on a double-date with his mate Luke and Miranda? No? I agree that Carrie dated a lot of journalist, but this is the episode where she realized that she is f*cked up and a freak. I digress, but Miranda is disgusted by this double date because her date "Luke" believes that nothing is worth leaving Manhattan, even for a holiday. Well my friends, "Luke" exists! At least, the DC version.

It all started with the simple question:"where do you live." There are a lot of preconceived notions about the different areas of DC. Those notions are - don't go to NE and SW or don't go to the areas on the Green/Yellow line (esp. after dark). Heck, I'll admit it, I perpetrated those notions before I truly learned about this city. But, this guy had reverse notions. I am not sure if this guy was misguided or a 16th street elitist. His response to the area that I lived "Oh, so you do you have a car, so don't use public transportation?
Whhhhhhat? I have no idea what this comment meant. Did he think that I lived in the 'burbs? Or, that I am rich and waste money on gas?He seemed really disgusted. God forbid, what if I had said that I lived in Maryland or Virginia! Maybe, I should have told him that I lived in VA- maybe then he would have ignored me for the entire night, which would have been a good thing. The End. Moral of the story - don't talk to strangers. Or just don't talk (in general).

No comments: